Saturday, July 10, 2010

The past two days...or is it three?

I always get so messed up with regard to time when I have a sleepless night. I didn't sleep on the flight to London, and I didn't sleep much on the flight from London to Istanbul by way of Cologne, Germany. We had to make an emergency stop there since someone on the plane was "doing poorly" as the British flight attends and pilot kept telling us. Then the overnight bus ride last night, I did sleep some, but only fitfully. So it means that the past however many days since I left seem to run into one another.

When I got into Amasya this morning my first objective was to find a hotel, grab some breakfast and catch a quick forty winks. That plan was delayed slightly by my getting lost multiple times. So what I thought would be a lovely 2 km hike into the centre of town turned into two hours of asking for help, hauling around my huge and heavy pack and getting chaffed (chaffed? chaft? ???) and bruised hips from my pack. Anyways eventually I settled, and was out cold for three hours. After the nap, I went out to by some food (mmm fresh bread, honey and cherries!). It was so nice to finally find a suitable hotel, a decent price for an excellent room and to change out of the clothes I'd been wearing since I left.

Amasya is beautiful, as is the surrounding countryside! I'm staying in an old Ottoman house near the citadel and beneath the tombs of the Pontic kings. I've got a balcony that hangs over the river that runs through the town. The call to prayer rang out about an hour ago, and hearing the two singers at two different minerats coupled with the echoing off the mountains was quite cool.

I had a few panicked times over the past few days as I suddenly realized I was on my own and why the heck I was doing it by myself. Fortunately the panic passed and I'm feeling pleased to be in Amasya and excited to (hopefully) start digging on Monday. Have I mentioned I'm tired? I just feel sleep in the middle of writing.

Well, I think I'll keep this one short and I may wander up to look at the tombs before having supper. But before I finish, here's so random comments about Turkey, the people and my travelling.

I can't figure out the system of how Turkish people cue. It seems more fend for yourself.
Judging by the large amount of traffic during the overnight journey to Amasya, a lot of Turkish people like to drive all night to spend the weekend somewhere else.
Travelling in a mini bus with some Brits who had never experienced Turkish driving can be very amusing when you're used to the driving.
On both flights and the bus, I was surrounded by kids. Definitely felt bad for the parents who's kid threw up on them in front of me on the first flight. Definitely am very happy the lid didn't throw up on me since he had been peaking over the seat at me moments before.
Hearing a two year old Brit say nighty night to you is pretty darn cute.
Getting a little tired of the stares from people. Yes, I am a white female with short hair travelling by myself. Please
stop staring.
Turkish people are as friendly and willing to help you as I remember. However, fewer people speak English than I remember. Including the woman who stopped to can't with me and I couldn't make out what she was trying to tell me. But, this gives me a chance to use and expand upon the few Turkish words I know.
There seems to have been at least three marriages in Amasya today, which involes driving down the streets of the town honking horns.

Alright, all for now!

1 comment:

  1. Simply awesome Kathryn! We are so very proud of you and blown away by your courage in tackling this on your own! Blessings!